Short-handed Clayton State drops 7-2 decision at Erskine
DUE WEST, S.C. – March 30, 2012 – Playing more short-handed on Friday, the Clayton State Laker women's tennis dropped a 7-2 decision in non-conference action at Conference Carolinas power Erskine.
The defeat drops the Lakers, ranked ninth in Division II, to 5-8 overall. 37th-ranked Erskine improves to 6-3 overall.
Having only five players healthy, Clayton State had to forfeit both at No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles. The Lakers won once in singles as Marie Cercelletti prevailed 6-2, 6-4 over Erskine's Corin Hallman. In doubles, Clayton State prevailed at No. 2 as Cercelletti and Charlotte Fabricius defeated Hallman and Victoria Stephens from Erskine 8-2.
Clayton State returns to Peach Belt Conference action Saturday, playing host to USC Aiken at Laker Courts.
ERSKINE 7, CLAYTON STATE 2
1. Marie Cercelletti (CLS) d. Corin Hallman 6-2, 6-4
2. Tessa Rheault (EC) d. Martina Dedaj 6-3, 6-4
3. Abby O'Reilly (EC) d. Charlotte Fabricius 6-2, 6-0
4. Mika Goyette (EC) d. Jessica Budd 6-1, 6-4
5. Victoria Stephens (EC) d. Alyze' Pagal 6-2, 6-2
6. Nikki Miller (EC) won by default
1. Rheault/Goyette (EC) d. Dedaj/Budd 8-4
2. Cercelletti/Fabricius (CLS) d. Hallman/Stephens 8-2
3. O'Reilly/Miller (EC) won by default